Wednesday, January 20, 2010

More from Australia

Here is a link to a review of the 10m Ltd edition Screamer from a Australian Rider.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topi ... C_ID=60910

or this is a copy of the review

Rider: 76Kg
Level: intermediate
Style: Freeriding
Weather: 18-23 knots
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 10/10
Disclosure: No attachment to brand or shop.

My Comments:

I had the chance to demo the Epic Screamer 10 Limited Edition today in 18 – 23Kts. Epic have produced a range of Screamers in 7M, 9M, 12M and 14M. In addition they have produced a Limited Edition which comes in 10M only. Epic claim that the Limited Edition 10 has the wind range of a comparable 11.5M kite.

Out of the bag you can see that this is a kite designed by Dimitri Maramenides and Momi as the attention to detail is exquisite. The reinforced stitching on strut attachments and the LE combined with profiled scuff guards on the LE give you confidence that this kite will be able to take the punishment and will see you through a good few seasons.

As Dimitri and Momi designed the Eclipse Thruster, comparisons between the two are inevitable. My personal opinion is that the Screamer (standard) and the Screamer Limited Edition 10 represent the next stage in the evolution of the Thruster design. So all Thruster riders take note, both of the Screamer editions are going to be of great interest to you.

The bar itself is pretty no nonsense. Epic have designed a bar that can be adjusted to suit all sizes of Screamers which is a bit of a bonus as once you have one bar you only have to spend money on different sizes of kites. The Chicken Loop is quite a small affair which may be more awkward to hook in and out of than other models. The Donkey is set to the side of the loop and, unlike the Thruster, it manages to stay attached to the loop during wipeouts and does not leave you unwittingly unhooked.

The quick release is a very simple plastic Push Forwards device that is a major improvement on the Thrusters, is it or isn’t it going to release device. The Leash attachment point runs through the centre of the quick release and cleverly allows the kite to remain flying (with very little power) after an unhooked wipeout. I did not have time to work out how the kite would depower and drop to the water when the QR is activated but did not do this when you unhooked and let the bar go but it’s a clever detail all the same.

The trim strap is pretty much the same affair as the Thruster with black power on and red power off straps. I did notice that the bar had a very long throw and I did find myself leaning forward over the bar to reach the straps. I would note this as my only real criticism of the package as people with shorter reach are going to struggle to trim the kite whilst riding. On further inspection I noticed that there are a number of knots above the straps where you can adjust the length of the throw to suit however this would also require shortening of the steering lines. I am just not sure that every rider is confident to do this.

There is a stopper ball which allows riders to set the throw and trim the kite to take most of the bar pressure. I never use these devices as I have come to grief with them before so I will leave it for others to comment.

So to the business end, the kite itself. As stated, construction of this kite is of the same high quality as the Thruster. There are a number of trim points on the bridal and on the steering line attachment points which allow for faster or slower turning. As with my Thruster I just set the kite to fast and get on with it, however as I mention later this kite is very fast and hugely powerful for a 10M so the slow settings may get a workout in heavier conditions.

There is a pretty standard One Pump system which is neat and clipped back to the strut and LE. The Valve attachment points have received some attention to stop the valve splitting which was an issue with the Thruster and Nano. It seems a pretty standard set up and only time will tell if this feature can stand up to the abuse it will, no doubt, get. I am still to be convinced that One Pump systems are a benefit to the rider. Obviously this is the way the industry has gone but I am not sure that saving ten minutes pumping up is worth all the grief when these systems go wrong.

The Screamer Limited Edition 10 comes in black only so no room for argument there, the graphics are pretty basic but clean and to the point. The kite looks like a ninja in the air when compared to the bling machines on offer by other brands so it’s all good.

So the Screamer Limited Edition 10 may be a shrinking violet in the looks department but boy where performance is concerned she has got the goods! I had the kite out for three hours in 18 – 23Kts and during my session other riders were switching from 12 / 13M kites down to 9 / 8M. For my weight on a 131 x 39 board I would say the comfortable wind range would be between 17 and 25Kts, with 25 being on the edge of overpowered. This may seem unrealistic for a 10M however Epic have put a lot of work into the Aspect of this kite and it shows in its comparable wind range with a 12M. Epic claim that the kite can be ridden in 15Kts and, whilst I agree, I would say that I would reach for a 12M over the Screamer 10 in anything around 15Kts, for that little more power. However if you are an experienced rider looking for a one kite solution then I would say this kite is worth a demo.

Where this kite really excels is the speed of turning. Just imagine the power of a 12m combined with the speed of a 9M and you get the picture. The kite turns with the type of input you would usually reserve for your 9M and I was caught out a number of times while down looping the kite. It only took a couple of turns to get this dialed in and from that point forward I was sold. I am not into kite loops but from the speed of this kite I can tell that it is going to be a real performer in this area.

Now the Thruster was known for big hang time but the Screamer is just absurd. This kite literally rips you off the water and into orbit with HUGE floaty results. This kite was obviously made for Dimitri’s style of riding and it really shows. I simply could not get enough of boosting with this kite. You can seriously over pilot this kite as it is just SO fast but once you have it dialed in it’s a real pleasure to fly.

I found the kite to be very stable in the air, initially I had a problem with back stalling but an adjustment to the lines solved this issue. Unhooked the kite behaved very well once trimmed correctly, there was less of a tendency to pull like a truck than I first expected and I am sure that unhooked and wave riders are going to love this kites stability and speed of turning.

So to sum it up I was very impressed with the Epic Screamer Limited Edition 10. If fast and powerful kites are your poison and you love going huge then you need to demo this kite. All Thruster riders are on notice, you are just going to love this kite as it feels like a more refined and turbo charged old friend.

Thanks to Tony at Ral for the demo. Sorry mate but I appear to have lost your number so cant hand this baby back for a while!

Cheers