Sunday, January 24, 2010

From Canada

Epic was kind enough to send me a couple Demo kites (10m Screamer LE and 7m Screamer) to test and determine if Epic was a proper fit to deal with Darkside.

Initially, on arrival, I was impressed with the fit and finish of these kites. There has been a lot of attention to detail in build quality, especially since it's such a new company. Nice oversized bag, lots of reinforcements, fairly simple brindle etc. The one suggestion I would make on initial inspection would be to adopt a pump valve similar to the Cabrinha collar; the valves work great, there are no issues with it, but I may be spoiled (I'm hooked - one, one way valve, screw in collar to attach to pump etc). Over all, very impressed.

Flying the 10m L.E. (on snow) in 10-15 kts I was very impressed. The kite has power. Lots of steady predictable power. It flies and turns fast. Flies like an 8, pulls like a 12 is a pretty common descriptor, and is entirely accurate. The kite jumps great, and is easy to feel it's movements through the window, despite not having a lot of bar pressure. I didn't get a chance to ride it unhooked, so I can't speak to its behaviour in that configuration. I didn't engage the QR either.

Unfortunately, the winds have been light to give the 7m Screamer a fair test. Having had it out for a minute, I can say it has the same bomber construction. It's a fast, punchy kite that flies well even in lighter winds.

Both kites launch and reverse launch well, and sit nicely at the edge of the window when depowered. They seem very well behaved, but also have no shortage of power and speed.

A couple things I would change include, keep in mind, they are minor but here they are:
-Previously mentioned inflation valves,
-The tubing from the Leading Edge bladder to the struts seems to be narrow and pinch off from time to time, stopping airflow in or out of the strut bladder.
-On a couple occasions, the swing away donkey dick removes itself from the harness hook, the webbing attaching it to the CL should be a. tighter or b. provide more friction.

These are nit-picky issues, I'm sure could be resolved after a couple uses and just require getting used to the kite. Overall, I am very impressed by the work done putting these kites out.

The only other thing worth mentioning is the service Epic has. Both Terrie and Dimitri seem to be stand up guys, and put a lot of value into customer satisfaction. Emails answered within a couple hours, or at least a day. Lots of information, support and a strong desire to allow the product to sell itself. Their dedication is bar none and puts your mind at ease when wondering if the manufacturer will stand behind their product.

Due to the excellent quality and service I have seen from Epic thus far, I have decided to become a dealer for Epic Kites. I am confident that Dimitri and everyone at Epic will continue to drive forward providing top-tier products and customer service.

Mike
Darkside Kites
www.darksidekites.ca
Cabrinha | Epic | NPX | Ronix

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2360987&sid=52082d9b2cc8fd0e92dde3ed351670c9&p=635820#p635820