Sunday, January 31, 2010

Finally a little blast of wind rolled back into Georgetown Saturday making for an Epic day of light wind kiting. With 6 inches of fresh pow on a 4 inch base and 4-14mph winds, I was finally able to get out and put in a good session on the 14m Epic Screamer and the new prototype board I am testing for Jelly Fish Boards.

The 14m Screamer was amazing to say the least. Super easy reverse launch worked better than I imagined in such light winds. The power and stability was definitely epic. I was able to ride up wind with no problem and was throwing down some of my best boosts of the year with little to no effort. The stability of the 14m Screamer while boosting was by far the best I have ever seen. With just a flick of the wrist away I went without ever having to worry about coming down hot. At first I was concerned that the chicken loop release would not work well in the cold and snow, but it proved to work excellent even when crammed full of snow and ice. Release was quick and reset was easy even while wearing gloves. When the winds dropped down to below 10mph everyone else got to sit and watch as the 14m Screamer was the only kite still able to fly, ride, and boost with no problem.

The Jelly Fish Board I am testing is their new 159 wide bamboo core with carbon fiber and Kevlar top sheet. The board is a reverse camber board making for a different feel than your standard board. In the deeper snow the board handled amazingly. When in some of the packed down areas it was a little harder to track straight. The reverse camber and bamboo core make for amazing pop. Carving sharp S turns is super easy and smooth due to the reverse camber. My only complaint so far with the board is that it isn't a good board for speed runs. Whenever it hits a bump it wants to go into the air instead of riding over the bump. The quality of the board seems to be exceptional so far. I will be getting out into some deeper powder in the next couple of days to see how it performs.

Overall it was an Epic day thanks to the amazing 14m Screamer and the 159 wide Jelly Fish board.