Saturday, January 2, 2010

More feedback from the Kite Forum

have ridden the Screamer 10 LTD for a few sessions now. I also have the 14, but haven't had a chance, or needed to use it, yet. 175lbs = 80kgs, kite boarding 9yrs,144x43 Custom w/ bindings. Enjoy wake style so kite is on the slowest turning setting w/ a chopped a down 38cm = 15 inch barI usually ride my kites for 1 or 2 yrs. depending on the wear and tear and then sell them used. The Screamer's construction and materials are top notch. I see no problem getting years of kiting w/ this guy and it still looking new in a few years. The front mini bridle is perfect. I was a C kite guy until 07 and made the change to bridled kites. The worst part about the bridles were the kites flipping inside out and getting all messed up with the bridles. But on the Screamer the front bridle it's too small for the kite to flip inside out and getting all tangled up. It is big enough though to depower the kite after missing a handle pass or something. The kite feels like a C during handle passes since the bar pressures slacks off right after popping, but it has a lot better wind range since it does have a bridle opening the shape up.The kite jams up wind. The last two years I've been riding Nano's since they were labeled as having a stable pull for wake style. The upwind performance wasn't as good, though. And it always annoyed me to see my tack angle 10 degrees less than some of my friends. This year I decided to go back to a higher aspect kite to crank upwind, ride faster, and have less pressure on the bar during passes. I couldn't be happier with my choice. Kite boarding just got fun again this year.It turns fast. I've ridden a 38cm bar on 12, 9, 6's the past years. I like smaller bars to keep the kite from moving fast during unhooked tricks. The 38 was great with the 10 on the slowest turning setting, but it was still faster turning than I usually ride. I could probably chop my bar down to 13 inches. This of course is for a slower moving kite, so those of you that want to boost more would probably prefer a 40cm bar. Most of my riding is park and ride, but I did send the kite a few times just to see how high it would jump. This kite loves to jump with just the flick of the wrist. The new Epic bar will be perfect, once I get it, since I'll be able to change the bar size by 10 cm for whatever kite I'm going to be riding. This will be perfect for my 14,10,7 combo this year. The other day I was on my 10 Screamer, my friend on his 10 Torch, and another friend on his 13 RPM. We're all similar weight, skill and board size. It was blowing 13 gusting to 18ish. I was trying to decide between the 10 and 14 when I pulled up to the beach, but went w/ the 10 since my friend was making his 10 work. I also wanted to compare the riding of my 10 with someone else. Right away the 13 struggled to stay up wind if he threw any tricks. It reminded me of my days on the 12 Nano - it pulls you nice and steady, but it doesn't want to cruise w/ speed nor at the edge of the window, so it's harder to work up wind. My friend on the Torch was staying in place throwing a trick on one of two tacks. I was able to throw a trick on both tacks in and out and still head upwind. The Screamer probably does have the power of an 11.5 like Dimitri said, since I was able to throw in an extra trick compared to my friend, and still head up wind better. On another day we were both completely lit on our 10's, but I wasn't anymore lit than he was. The range of the Screamer 10 is probably the best of any kite I've ever had. If I could only get 1 kite for the yr. this would be it.Hope I didn't geek out too much. Just trying to pass on the stoke