Monday, February 1, 2010

Spending a whole month in La Ventana (Baja Mexico) has been surreal. We arrived in La Paz to rain showers and no wind. After nearly getting into numerous car accidents and narrowly escaping wal-mart we eventually made it to the small fishing village of La Ventana. I was very anxious to get out and kite. The next day was very light wind and cloudy, I still made it work for my 14m Epic Screamer and enjoyed my first session of the trip. After my attempts of going upwind remained futile, I made a grave mistake and came into the beach near the reef and sliced the heel of my foot pretty bad.
The next three weeks was absolutely amazing with consistent wind and sunshine. I super glued my foot back together and kept charging it out on the water. On an up-winder with Janet I ran into my old amigo and team rider for Wainman Hawaii, John Bonetti. He is always a fun person to ride with and we push each other to new limits.
The kite expo (La Ventana Classic) was a blast and even though the wind was not cooperating 100% the mood was Irie, and everyone was having fun. Dimitri and all the Epic crew did an amazing job getting the kites out and spreading the word about how the Epic Kites are a notch above the industry. After the event the wind picked back up and we got some nice days with mellow crowds. I would have to say this was the part of the trip that was the most progressive for me. I pushed myself pretty hard and feel like I made some stellar achievements.

So for now it is back to the cold northwest and hopefully we have some fresh snow I can’t wait for another kite trip into the warmth and sun of Mexico.
-Matty