Friday, February 19, 2010

More from PR

Thanks Dimitri for bringing the Epic show to Shacks. I am sorry that we could not deliver on the typical sideshore wave riding that this place is known for, but it was fun to ride your kites anyway. I had the chance to ride the Renegade in both the 11 and 9. I weigh 160lbs and have been riding at Shacks for 4 years. My first session was on the 11 with a 5'8 strapped surfboard.

For the record, I have no interest in riding an 11meter in the waves. But the wind was light and a bit on shore so I decided to give it a go. I am glad that I did. The kite performed extremely well. It was stable and still reasonably fast for its size. I tried to make it back stall and it would not. It pivots well and when you get the timing right, it leads you just like a wave kite should.

Fortunately, the wind picked up a tad and I decided to get on the kite that I really wanted to try, the Renegade 9. It seems that a 9m is often the sweet spot in the line up and the 9m Renegade did not disappoint. In fact I felt like I had more useable power with the 9m (at my weight) than with the 11m. For me an 11m just pulls. The 9m just danced. Nice pivot on the turns and seemingly a more linear power delivery as compared to the 11. Although the wind was measurably the same, I felt like I had more power and speed with the 9. Work the kite, and she goes!

This was my first time on a 3 strut SLE. I was a bit skeptical when I first looked at the kite as I am used to a much more rigid canopy design using 5 struts. After trying the kites, I think what you might give up in structure is made up for in lack of weight and a greater ability to fly fast. So if you like to ride waves powered up, keeping your kite low and moving in front of you, you should consider this kite. It was remarkably stable for having only 3 struts.

My only constructive criticism relates to the bar. I could have used a bit more throw. Another inch or two would have been perfect.

I am not affiliated with Epic in any way and only re-met Dimitri and his crew for the first time in a long time. Thanks again Dimitri, and best wishes in what seems to be a very successful venture.