Monday, December 21, 2009

10m Screamer vs. 11m Nano on snow in Montana

What an amazing 2 days in the snow. I was able to get out and try the new EPIC 10m limited edition Screamer and I was impressed to say the least. With winds 4mph-14mph on Friday I was amazed at the fact that I was able to ride, boost, and make it up wind with ease. Rhett had the Eclipse 11m Nano and I wanted to put the two to the test side by side.

In the light winds the 10m Screamer was able to relaunch easier than the Nano which I wasn’t expecting. The power of the 10m Screamer in the light winds amazed both Rhett and me. I was still able to easily throw 10ft+ boosts on the Screamer while barely being able to leave the ground on the Nano. I expected the Screamer to be a bigger booster but not in such light winds. The reverse launch was a day saver for sure, working in such low winds. Anyone who snowkites with LEI’s knows that reverse launching is an amazing development in kiting, and the Screamer worked better than any kite I have used to date. After a while Rhett broke out his 16m North Rhino since the 11m Nano just didn’t have the power to ride and have fun. With the 10m Screamer I was able to still rock as well or better than Rhett on the 16m. This blew my mind. If it would have been any other kite I would have flown a 12m – 16m but was blow away by the 10m Screamer’s power.

On Saturday the winds picked up ranging from 14mph – 29mph. This gave us the chance to really get out and try the 10m Screamer in higher winds. The power it creates as a 10m is absolutely amazing. With just a slight flick of the wrist up I went. I was surprised at how long of a hangtime that the 10m had. I was expecting just a quick up and down and that wasn’t the case. I went up glided for a bit and then came down. It definitely had more power on the 10m Screamer than on any other 10m I have ever flown. After I was done trying it out for a while Rhett took it out and was throwing down some great boosts. Also the speed of the 10m was amazing while not being too twitchy. I have more Screamers on the way and I can’t wait to get out and try the other sizes. If they have the power of the 10m then I know some big air is the future.