Sunday, April 25, 2010

From SO Cal

Just wanted to share my thoughts as this week I had a chance to ride RENEGADE 11 and SCREAMER 14.

I'm 245-250lbs so definitely on the heavier side of the equation, live in LA area (mainly ride Malibu or Belmont), and usually ride twin tips (135x41 and 150x40 Mako)

This week we had a strong storm going thru for couple of days and I decided to give the 11 a shot. I'm so glad that I had the Renegade with me this Wed as the conditions were gnarly. Wind was gusting to 35-38mph and would drop to 10-15 (and sometimes it would shut off completely) and then come up to 30+ again.The kite was SUUPER stable, and very predictable. It has very nice depower so gusts didn't bother me at all. It wasn't the best day to demo anything as I was more concerned about surviving then kiting, but I was really happy with how the kite performed.

Yesterday I rode the SCREAMER 14, which I was pretty skeptical about as I didn't think that this size would be enough for my weight. I really wanted to try the kite in Malibu which usually has stronger winds than Long Beach and OC area, to get a better feel for the kite, but ended up going to Belmont which has pretty steady 15-20mph winds on a good day. I normally ride my 17 Waroo there, even when the winds occasionally go up to 20-25.
The wind today was averaging around 15-16mph (12 to 18) so I figured that I'll pump my 17 just in case, if it wasn't enough for the Screamer and a twin tip. Before I went out on a Screamer I tried another 2010 kite in 15M. It was a really nice kite with plenty of power but I did have to ride the 150 Mako as it wasn't enough for the 135 TT. Rode that one for a bit and came back to change to Screamer. Once I switched and launched I couldn't believe how much power it had! It felt more powerful than my 17.
Screamer 14 is fast, powerful, cuts upwind really well, jumps great and I love that it always is exactly in the window where you expect it to be. Feedback on the bar is great and even though the bar pressure is a little heavier (I would say it's def. less than Bandits), but it really handles great.

I'm in a market for new kites, and had a chance to try number of 2010 kites in last few months and I must say that EPIC kites were the only once that I didn't have to get used to to ride them. They felt perfect, right from the first tack like I'd always been riding Epic.

Dimitri and Dale, thanks for hooking me up with demo kites, I think I'm ready for some EPIC times with EPIC kites:) :thumb: