Friday, March 12, 2010

From Hatteras

Name: duckman

Finally got a chance to ride the Screamer 12 on Saturday at KP,Hatteras in solid 20 to 25+ winds and cold low 40's. I usually dont ride flat water but the sun was out, the kite was rigged and the beer was free so I gave it a rip. As soon as I put up the kite I turned to Enzo and said "This kite wants to jump". I was very impressed. Sitting in the trucks the wind had lulled so I passed on the Renegade 9, thinking it might be small. The Screamer 12 however was ready to rip. I was impressed as much with its height and length of jumps as I was with how stable it was when you where up in the air. It was the opposite of "twitchy" kites that overreact to every pull on the bar. It turned when I wanted it to and waited when I didn't want it to turn. Looping was solid but not jerky and the depower was more than enough to compensate for bail outs. Kite relaunch was easy. Cant go wrong with it as an all around kite. Handled gusts into the high 20's smoothly and with no great bar pressure . Really smooth power delivery when the kite is put downwind and you are behind it. As to waves, I think this pull might rip you a bit off the faces and I definitely prefer my Renegade 11 for waves, but for the occassional wave rider/mostly flat water kiter you could definitely make it work. As I was riding the Screamer 12 I was thinking of Dimitri's riding style and realized "This kite is the kite Dimitri would build to ride"