Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My First Trip to Cape Hatteras

I've been dreaming about going to the OBX ever since I started kiting. This past weekend I finally got down there and HOLY SHIT! This place was so much more than I even thought it would be. Not only was this the best kite destination that I have ever been to but everyone that I met down there was so cool! By far the coolest person I met was Dimitri Maramenides. His attitude and enthusiasm towards his sport was motivating. This dude hooked me and my crew up with an entire quiver to demo for the whole weekend. I got to test the Screamer 12 & 14, Renegade 9 & 11 and I bought a Renegade Infinity from Dimitri just before I went down to the OBX. Dimitri also hooked us up with the new Droid and the Oxygen boards.

I was so impressed with the performance and construction of the Infinity that I had to try the rest of the kites. The first day we were in town Dimitri invited us to ride behind his house. I started my day on the Screamer 14 and was having a great time for about two hours. The biggest boosts I've ever done. The wind was coming up and Dimitri busted out the 12. I was in the market for a 12 and I was super excited to finally fly it. I started out a little under powered but was still having a great time. Dimitri and I were riding for about 20 minutes before he waived me down yelling "YOU NEED MORE POWER". I thought he wanted me to take the 14 back....nope. He had me land the kite to his kid and we quickly adjusted the outside lines in on the bar and BOOM! I was lit up again! If you haven’t flown the EPIC kites yet, be sure to get your hands on one. They are super impressive. The Screamer 12 is crazy fast. I was actually a bit scared of it at first but after an hour or so I was boosting bigger airs than I was on the 14 and had one of the best kite sessions I’ve ever had…that is until the next day.

For our Saturday’s session Dimitri advised us to head to Kite Point. I was super lit on the Screamer 12 all day long. I kept trying back rolls and kept over rotating because I had so much hang time with the Screamer. I never tried to do a double back roll so I finally just said “Fuck It” and went for the double. Landed the first try and was super stoked. Later in the day I decided to give the Renegade 11m a try. This kite was equally as fun. It’s a little smoother, not quite as radical as the Screamer but it was super stable. I found myself not even looking at the kite. It was always where I wanted it to be. I personally preferred the Screamer but I’m considering getting my girlfriend a couple of the Renegades simply because there so easy to ride and just have fun. My buddy was on the 9m Renegade and the Droid 135x41 all day, never switch up his rig. It was only his 4th or 5th time kiting in the water and he was staying up wind with no problems.

Sunday the wind was super light but it wasn’t going to keep us down. We headed back to Kite Point and busted out my Infinity. I went out first. I weigh about 215lbs and there was only about 7-8mph. I couldn’t quite stay upwind but I was out kiting on a twin tip and having fun. I handed the Infinity over to my buddy who weighs 150lbs. He went out and was staying up wind and also doing small boosts and back roll kite loops. The wind came up a little. Wind Alert was saying 10-12mph I went back out and I was able to ride up wind and do some boosts and rolls. I am super happy with my investment in the Infinity. As a bigger rider and living in Michigan, I know I’m going to use the shit outa this kite.
Needless to say, I came home with a new Screamer 12. My one buddy came home with a Screamer 14 and the other a new Droid board.

I also want to thank Matt and everyone at REAL and Waterman’s Retreat. If anyone is looking for a pimp ass place to stay, look no further than Waterman’s Retreat! This place is soooo sick! I wish we had a kite shop like this in Michigan! We finally did get to ride at REAL, our last day on Monday. What a kick ass spot. I’ve never rode such flat water. The Slick is the place to be on a SW wind.

One more thank you to Charlie at OBX Kite Repair (www.obxkiterepair.com) for fixing my boo boo. If anybody is in Hatteras and needs a quick fix on their kite, look no further than Charlie. I can’t even tell where the tear was! If I ever need kite repairs, I know where I’m sending my gear.

I know I’m going to catch a bunch of guff from a lot people saying I’m pimping EPIC or REAL or whatever but I dont relly give a shit! I just want everyone that hasn’t been to the OBX to know about my unforgettably kick ass experience. I don’t know how I’m going to get more time off work, but I’m going to do my best to get back down there this year.