Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Joined: 24 May 2010 22:27
Posts: 5
Just wanted to leave a few comments on the Pismo expo.

First off, I commend Epic for their dominating presence at the Expo, and really making the effort to get people on their kites to demo them. Dimitri continues to have genuine stoke for the sport that's infectious and if he's not the hardest working guy in the kiteboarding industry...then I don't know who is.

Secondly, I wish I could be giving a review of at least a few different Epic kites that I tried, but I can only do a few, for two reasons: (1) virutally all their demo kites were off the beach once the wind picked up (due to many people being eager to try them), and (2) I was having so much fun on the Epic kite I was riding that I just didn't want to come in and try other kites! Look at the stoke on my face on the picture below!

The picture below is with my own 2010 14m Screamer, which I started off with on Sunday when the wind first picked up. I forgot my Epic bar at home, thus I'm using someone else's bar. I love everything about the kite when I want to ride a twin tip and the wind is above 14mph or so. There's not enough low end for me in lighter winds with a TT (I'm 180lbs) - I do have a tendency to ride a bit overpowered, which I like (probably for the leg workout and big boosts)- so take that for what it's worth. However, the Screamer is one of the fastest turning 14m kites I've flown, it's boosting ability and hangtime is just plain awesome, and the bar pressure is light. Relaunching is decent but obviously not as easy as delta shaped kites. I used to fly the Eclipse Thruster, and then moved to Epic when that company went south. I let a buddy of mine who also flew thrusters try the Screamer, and he bought one the next day. Things I don't like: I'm not a huge fan of the bar setup. The swivel is to tight to unspin the lines and the donkey dick is a bit too soft (easy to unexpectedly get unhooked). The donkey dick was improved with the 2011 bar though, and rumor has it that Epic will be coming out with a whole new bar setup later this year. I eventually flew a 2011 14m F-one Bandit and found that it had much greater bar pressure, was much slower turning, had lofty hangtime, but was just too slow for me. For the most part it had the same pull, but it just felt like it had to be muscled more. I would not buy this kite for myself.

I also demoed the 2011 10m limited Screamer when the wind had picked up more. This kite is by far my favorite when the wind is right. In fact, I flew it twice during the expo. Once on Friday, when the wind was ~25, and I was feeling quite powered up (but not unbareable) and then again on Sunday when the wind was ~15-18 or so. Rode the same twin tip both times (136 X 41). The range of the kite seems quite large. It's speed, power, hang, range, directness, and of course its' boosting ability, I think is unparalleled! The kite really felt like an extension of my body and very easy to handle. In my view, I don't think it can get much better. That being said, I don't think the kite is for everyone. It has a lot of power, and it might scare you !

As for other people's impressions, I can say that several people that I spoke to LOVED the Renegade. These were folks who ride directionals and love the waves. In fact, a friend of mine who has been kiting for 8yrs, who had just spent a lot of money on Cabrinha kites, was bummed, as he thought the Renegades were much much better. Another friend of mine who only rides directionals with his F-one bandit thought the Screamer was okay, but not exactly the style of kite that he's into. Others who are into more freestyle and jumping thought the Screamer was phenomenal.

Lastly, I've commented on here previously about Epic customer service. It has been fantastic when things have come up & I've needed to contact Dimitri. I don't know how that guy sleeps!


This was taken from this post:
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2366315&p=696414#p696414