Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Taken from the KITEFORUM.

First impressions of the 6m Renegade(20m lines): I got a lot of water time on the 6m Renegade last week. The conditions where I was riding start of in the low 20's and builds to the high 20's/ low 30's within a few hours, side to side-off wind. And, does get quite gusty at times.

Weight: 195 lbs
Board: 6' 2" Firewire stock surfboard(Flexfire)
Experience: 3rd year kiting.

Before I rigged the 6m, I was a little hesitant because most guys my size were on 8m and 9m kites(everyone was on surfboards/directionals) and this is a place where you do not want to end up down wind due to a cliffy shoreline with limited launch area. I could have rigged the 9m to be sure, however, I did not want to have to come in and rig down when the wind picked up. Also, I like to freesurf the wave as much as possible and rather not be over-powered when riding down-the line.

As soon as the kite went in the air I was impressed due to the incredible stability. The launch area boarders a small cliff, so the wind is light before the kite gets above the cliff, making it a little sketchy to launch sometimes when it's gusting. As soon as I started riding I was lovin this thing. The lowend on this 6m is amazing. In regards to high end, I don't know since I was never over-powered during all my sessions. I also really liked the lighter bar pressure and shorter throw to depower. That coupled with it's stability, made this kite such a pleasure to fly in these conditions.
In regards to the performance on the waves: I was a little bummed that we did not get the swell we were expecting so the waves were only head high at best. However, I was blown away how this kite flys when riding waves. It's the kind of kite that you do not have to pay attention when your on the wave. Which means you can put all your focus on the wave itself. This is the closest I've felt to actual free-surfing since I've been kiting on waves. I am so happy with this kite. For me, it has everything I want in a wave kite: great lowend, stability, power/depower on demand in a short stroke, gust eater, no heavy bar pressure, and fast turning. If you are into waves, you should definetly give this kite a try.

Lastly, I have been equally impressed with the customer service I've gotten from Epic. Many kite companies miss the mark in this catorgory which is really a shame for them. Thanks Dimitri for putting out such a solid kite for waves.